After two weekends with strong winds which resulted in race cancellations we finally had a weekend with gentle breezes forecast – maybe too little to race! Nevertheless 8 boats turned out to race on the Saturday and 6 on Sunday. Both days the PROs set courses which could be easily shortened but by circling a ring of buoys it gave a wide variation of sailing angles.
With downwind sails forbidden some legs could have been very slow but on Saturday there was a little more wind than promised. Indeed, after a 15min start postponement the wind backed to the west and and kicked in reliably and even peaked at 18 knots! I am sure we all enjoyed a sail with some brisk and some gentle legs in the sun though cooled by the sea breeze.
Sunday was a more gentle race with a peak wind of around 13 knots but the fleet all completed a slightly longer course.
Just for a change the weather has been poor during the week but cheering up for the weekend! So tomorrow we can hopefully (trying not to tempt fate here) expect racing to go ahead with a gentle breezeg.
The start is scheduled at the convenient time of midday and we hope many of you will be able to join us. As per the Race Instructions (www.ccrc.co.uk/wp-content/files/event-instructions/2020-TR.pdf) if you can let the Sailing Secretary know you are participating today.
Guest boats are also very welcome (www.ccrc.co.uk/guest-entry).
Once again I am sorry to say that we (PROs, Sailing Secretary and Commodore) have agreed we must postpone the races planned for this weekend (4/5th July). The forecast is for average winds of 20 knots with gusts of 30 knots. After all those weeks in lock-down looking at the super weather this is very frustrating. Normally we would not decide this early but forecasts are getting more accurate and the weekend forecast has been stable for some days.
We hope for better weather the weekend of 11/12th July when the long range forecast shows the jet-stream a bit further north (fingers crossed!).