The CCRC Public Forum shows that news from the club and its members which is available to all.
CCRC Members also have access to the Member’s Forum which includes the public news plus member-specific information, news and discussion.
There are new Racing Rules of Sailing for 2021 (to 2024) and we now have a link to these as well as other useful documents such as one identifying the actual changes on CCRC Documents page – https://www.ccrc.co.uk/ccrc-documents/
Friday saw our usual Fitting Out Supper replaced by a Fitting Out Meeting held online with some presentations and sociable discussions of the programme of CCRC events for 2021.
We agreed to go ahead and start racing on Saturday 17th April; while some boat preparation has been delayed there is enough to have a race for those ready. The rest of the CCRC programme remains as per the published list though options for the usual cross-Channel race and Spring Cruise (end of May) remain open as we doubt crossing to France will be likely.
We talked through race start procedures for Race Officers and competitors plus aids like SailEvent and a new link showing the marks CCRC uses.
We all look forward to getting back on the water ASAP.
Forecasts for the weekend were for North-Easterly winds gusting over 20 knots but still warm despite being the second half of September. Great conditions for some brisk racing!
Saturday afternoon saw CCRC racing with (and against) Channel Sailing Club whose turn it was to organise the event for this year. They set up a WhatsApp group which added to the inter-boat discussion and announced a course of some 18 miles. Starting south Portsmouth and finishing near Cowes the course had only limited upwind legs though the significant tide was also against us for these legs adding to the challenge. Also added to the challenge was the wind which varied widely in both direction and strength. It was a terrific day to be on the water racing and then most gathered in Cowes for the evening.
Sunday morning was a CCRC race back to Chichester – so mostly against the wind but with the tide. Again it was a terrific race with a fresh breeze which rose and fell in strength and direction – one such sustained gust resulted in the first half of the fleet passing one side of the fort while the second half passed the other side. Then it was through the dolphin passage and some legs between the buoys in Hayling Bay before the finish at Chi. Another super day for a sail in the warm autumn sunshine.
CCRC won the team race against CSC and detailed results for this are on the programme page; the CCRC results for both days will be on the results page.
Sorry, for lack of pictures but I was too busy hanging on!
Intrepid was designated as PRO and RO for today’s Bramidge Trophy race between CCRC and CYC with the start also being a Rolling Start. I had a couple of courses envisaged as we headed out for the start with a wind forecast of 10-14 knots with gusts to 20 knots. As we left the harbour we had 18 knots of wind so I modified one course to be a bit longer – my goal was to give everyone a good long sail since many have managed too little sailing this year. Regrettably the wind soon dropped and my fear was that the race might not be finished in time or that many would choose to retire. Hence the decision to shorten – with Intrepid retiring to become the finish line boat. This was just as well as we soon had less than 5 knots of wind; some reporting much less. Nevertheless most of the 18 participants persevered and finished to which I say well done. Of course once most had finished the wind perked up again to 15 knots or so!
Nevertheless it was great to be out on the water in such lovely early autumn weather.
Don’t forget the charity race tomorrow – Bart’s Bash. Join in the fun and donate via https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/BartsBash2020.
After two weekends with strong winds which resulted in race cancellations we finally had a weekend with gentle breezes forecast – maybe too little to race! Nevertheless 8 boats turned out to race on the Saturday and 6 on Sunday. Both days the PROs set courses which could be easily shortened but by circling a ring of buoys it gave a wide variation of sailing angles.
With downwind sails forbidden some legs could have been very slow but on Saturday there was a little more wind than promised. Indeed, after a 15min start postponement the wind backed to the west and and kicked in reliably and even peaked at 18 knots! I am sure we all enjoyed a sail with some brisk and some gentle legs in the sun though cooled by the sea breeze.
Sunday was a more gentle race with a peak wind of around 13 knots but the fleet all completed a slightly longer course.
Just for a change the weather has been poor during the week but cheering up for the weekend! So tomorrow we can hopefully (trying not to tempt fate here) expect racing to go ahead with a gentle breezeg.
The start is scheduled at the convenient time of midday and we hope many of you will be able to join us. As per the Race Instructions (www.ccrc.co.uk/wp-content/files/event-instructions/2020-TR.pdf) if you can let the Sailing Secretary know you are participating today.
Guest boats are also very welcome (www.ccrc.co.uk/guest-entry).
Once again I am sorry to say that we (PROs, Sailing Secretary and Commodore) have agreed we must postpone the races planned for this weekend (4/5th July). The forecast is for average winds of 20 knots with gusts of 30 knots. After all those weeks in lock-down looking at the super weather this is very frustrating. Normally we would not decide this early but forecasts are getting more accurate and the weekend forecast has been stable for some days.
We hope for better weather the weekend of 11/12th July when the long range forecast shows the jet-stream a bit further north (fingers crossed!).
If you use the SeaPro navigation software and find your waypoints and routes aren’t working this season then the explanation is at https://www.euronav.co.uk/eurohelp/techdocs/TN077.htm
I found the first, small, download worked.
Ten boats turned out for the Commodore’s Bender at the weekend which consisted of two innovative races with distant socialising lunch at anchor between them. It was fortunate the event was delayed from Saturday to Sunday as the weather then provided plenty of wind for racing but a calm and sunny anchorage for lunch. It was a shame a few were unable to take part due to the date change. The races allowed competitors to decide on their own start time (within limits) which made for an easier start but more difficulty seeing how you were performing. As for lunch the bay was popular but plenty of room for all, and some hung off other anchored boats to save hassle.
A super day and great to be back on the water.