The CCRC Public Forum shows that news from the club and its members which is available to all.
CCRC Members also have access to the Member’s Forum which includes the public news plus member-specific information, news and discussion.
Intrepid was designated as PRO and RO for today’s Bramidge Trophy race between CCRC and CYC with the start also being a Rolling Start. I had a couple of courses envisaged as we headed out for the start with a wind forecast of 10-14 knots with gusts to 20 knots. As we left the harbour we had 18 knots of wind so I modified one course to be a bit longer – my goal was to give everyone a good long sail since many have managed too little sailing this year. Regrettably the wind soon dropped and my fear was that the race might not be finished in time or that many would choose to retire. Hence the decision to shorten – with Intrepid retiring to become the finish line boat. This was just as well as we soon had less than 5 knots of wind; some reporting much less. Nevertheless most of the 18 participants persevered and finished to which I say well done. Of course once most had finished the wind perked up again to 15 knots or so!
Nevertheless it was great to be out on the water in such lovely early autumn weather.
Don’t forget the charity race tomorrow – Bart’s Bash. Join in the fun and donate via https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/BartsBash2020.
After two weekends with strong winds which resulted in race cancellations we finally had a weekend with gentle breezes forecast – maybe too little to race! Nevertheless 8 boats turned out to race on the Saturday and 6 on Sunday. Both days the PROs set courses which could be easily shortened but by circling a ring of buoys it gave a wide variation of sailing angles.
With downwind sails forbidden some legs could have been very slow but on Saturday there was a little more wind than promised. Indeed, after a 15min start postponement the wind backed to the west and and kicked in reliably and even peaked at 18 knots! I am sure we all enjoyed a sail with some brisk and some gentle legs in the sun though cooled by the sea breeze.
Sunday was a more gentle race with a peak wind of around 13 knots but the fleet all completed a slightly longer course.
Just for a change the weather has been poor during the week but cheering up for the weekend! So tomorrow we can hopefully (trying not to tempt fate here) expect racing to go ahead with a gentle breezeg.
The start is scheduled at the convenient time of midday and we hope many of you will be able to join us. As per the Race Instructions (www.ccrc.co.uk/wp-content/files/event-instructions/2020-TR.pdf) if you can let the Sailing Secretary know you are participating today.
Guest boats are also very welcome (www.ccrc.co.uk/guest-entry).
Once again I am sorry to say that we (PROs, Sailing Secretary and Commodore) have agreed we must postpone the races planned for this weekend (4/5th July). The forecast is for average winds of 20 knots with gusts of 30 knots. After all those weeks in lock-down looking at the super weather this is very frustrating. Normally we would not decide this early but forecasts are getting more accurate and the weekend forecast has been stable for some days.
We hope for better weather the weekend of 11/12th July when the long range forecast shows the jet-stream a bit further north (fingers crossed!).
If you use the SeaPro navigation software and find your waypoints and routes aren’t working this season then the explanation is at https://www.euronav.co.uk/eurohelp/techdocs/TN077.htm
I found the first, small, download worked.
Ten boats turned out for the Commodore’s Bender at the weekend which consisted of two innovative races with distant socialising lunch at anchor between them. It was fortunate the event was delayed from Saturday to Sunday as the weather then provided plenty of wind for racing but a calm and sunny anchorage for lunch. It was a shame a few were unable to take part due to the date change. The races allowed competitors to decide on their own start time (within limits) which made for an easier start but more difficulty seeing how you were performing. As for lunch the bay was popular but plenty of room for all, and some hung off other anchored boats to save hassle.
A super day and great to be back on the water.
Each year our Commodore invites CCRC members to take part in a different format of club event called the Commodore’s Bender; and this is normally at the end of the sailing season in October.
For obvious reasons this year is already very different so this year the Commodore’s Bender takes place in June – Saturday 13th June.
The Bender will consist of two races of a different type plus an anchored lunch break. Of course members can choose to just do the races or just go and anchor for lunch.
The event recognises what we can and cannot do at present – i.e. no overnight stays onboard and continued social distancing while exercising/sailing. It should provide a bit of a shake-down sail, a change from our usual activities (or inactivities!), a little exercise and competition, and some distant socialising (as opposed to social distancing), while keeping risks low.
The races will both have a start time decided (within limits) by your skipper; so you will need to declare both your start and finish times. This means you have the added challenge of deciding the best time to do the race, and it allows some flexibility for travelling to your boat in the morning and avoids contention on the start line.
The lunch will be at anchor in Priory Bay near Bembridge.
Race Instructions are on the CCRC web site – www.ccrc.co.uk/programme.
Those CCRC members who enjoyed yesterday’s Virtual Yacht Races (and even if you did not take part) might be interested in joining a trans-Atlantic race starting at midday today. Even if you miss the start you can still join in later. “IntrepidBob” is taking part so we might even make up a little CCRC flotilla. It is free though there are extras you can pay for.
In view of the current COVID19 epidemic we have had to review the forthcoming programme for 2020.
CCRC is cancelling all events (social and racing) until the end of May at the earliest.
For June and beyond we will review the programme closer to the time but even if we decide racing etc. is possible we may also change the actual programme in terms or Bay or Passage races and destinations.
Please stay safe and keep well over the coming weeks and months.